Player Development Framework
NRFC COACHING STATEMENT
At NRFC, our coaches are committed to fostering 1) an understanding of the game; 2) the skills needed to play, including individual master of the ball, and creativity/imagination when playing; and 3) the social skills to work as part of a team all while having fun and instilling a love of sport in a supportive environment.
Our coaches are trained in “positive coaching,” using game-based training to keep players involved throughout all training sessions. Coaches and managers are also required to complete the official HeadsUp concussion program, and SafeSport abuse prevention training.
NRFC PLAYER CULTURE
- We need to know the player, and his/her developmental needs – Fun, Enjoyable, Development
- We are coaching individuals (technique) within a team environment during practices & games
- Our coaching must be age & skill appropriate for each player’s game model (4v4…11v11)
- Allowing each player to think & make a decision, and support bravery
NRFC TEAM CULTURE
- Coaches need to understand age appropriate team values
- Coaches and players need to set co-constructed team goals
- Coaches need to create an environment where team values are ‘lived’ during training and games.
NRFC COACHING CULTURE
- A Long Term Player Development approach, based on the Needs & Goals of players.
- A player-centered approach at training and games; coaching an individual within the team.
- Teaching how to play the game through skill development and PRINCIPLES OF PLAY (POP), and not focused on positions, organization and formations.
- Implementing learning activities that are age and stage appropriate, and most important, GAME-LIKE.
- Creating a learning environment that is fun and enjoyable for players.
STAGES OF PLAYER DEVELOPMENT
Player Development Framework U7- U8
- Learning the BASICS of attacking
- Defending & transition (Going forward, protecting the goal)
- Playing experience through GAME-LIKE situations
- Principles of play
- Small sided games (1v1, 2v1….3v3/4v4)
- Motor skills development – ladders, hoops, hurdles
Player Development Framework U9 – U10
- “Playing as a team”
- Developing relationships on the field
- Attacking & defending as a team (POP)
- Game-like Situations
- Small sided games (1v1, 2v1….3v3/4v4);
- Basic use of formation
- Coordination training
Player Development Framework U11-U12
- “Playing a position for the team”
- Understanding role, position & task in a team
- Experience position specific task in defending & attacking Through Game-like situations
- Mixture of small sided games, plus uneven games;
- Using formation that relates to game – positions,
- Create soccer specific problems
Resources For Coach Development
- US Soccer Learning Center – https://learning.ussoccer.com
- United Soccer Coaches – https://unitedsoccercoaches.org
- Share results among coaches
- Best players
- Who needs work
- Post Game Analysis
- Goal of chat – Players’ technical ability, actions & decision making
Player Development Clinics
The plan is to offer 2 or 3 coaching clinics during the season.
- Coaching Methods
- Demonstrate how to coach a player within the team at practice
- Coaching your team in game day